What do I do if arrested for Penal Code 647(a) Engaging in or Soliciting Lewd Conduct in Public?
The first thing you do is call a bail bondsman to post a bond. This will allow you to be out of custody to fight your case. You will be able to set up multiple attorney appointments and interview who might be best for your case.
How do I find the right bail bondsman for a PC647a charge?
Selecting the right bond company and bondsman can be very different for this kind of case and here is why. First off most people although they won’t admit it are very judgmental. The vast majority of bondsmen work for larger or corporate bond companies and have little power after they have sold the bond. This kind of case is very personal and will normally last a very long time. This means you will have a relationship with the bond company and what this relationship is can be very important to the outcome of your case!
What is important to consider when selecting a bail bondsman?
Some of the things to consider would be
- Is the person on the phone an owner or sales agent?
- What is the cost of the bond?
- Are there any additional fees, interest, posting fees?
- If charges are added and the bond goes up will the bondsman give credit for amount already paid or will you be forced to pay for an entirely new bond?
- What happens if the DA files after the arraignment plus 15 days? Will they reassume the bond or tell you sorry you need a new bond? (This happens a lot in PC647(a) and PC288 cases)
Why is a Bail Bond for Sex Crimes different from other bonds?
There are so many different reasons as to why this bail/bond is different. Starting with who arrested the defendant. If law enforcement made the arrest and set the bond amount, the District Attorney may:
- Add additional “charges” could increase the bond amount.
- Increase the “counts” on a particular charge requiring possible higher bail amount
- Argue for no bail
- Require GPS Monitoring with bail
What will the Bail Bond Company do when your bail has been raised?
What is the difference between a Bail Company, Bail Agent and a Bail Bondsman and why does it matter for a Lewd Acts with a Minor Bond?
- A bail Bond Agent and a Bail Bondsman are mostly the same, they are just different ways of saying it. However, they are mostly recognized as an Independent Bail Bondsman or an Agent that works for a Bail Bond Company.
- Bail Bond Company’s generally refer to their salesmen as agents
- A Bondsman generally does more than just sell and post the bond. They often are independent agents that have their own company and deal with advertising to exoneration (start to finish)
- The reason it matters is because the amount of power the bondsman has or doesn’t have can change everything
- It matters whether you are dealing with a sales agent that just sits at a desk and sells in a corporate environment or a hands on personal service owner. Even the background and personality of the bondsman matters.
What should I compare when selecting a bail bondsman?
I know what you are thinking already “COST” right? Well, you’re right but most make the mistake or taking the cheapest dollar amount they hear or the lowest down payment. It’s what you miss or what changes along the way that will very well determine the cost. Don’t be fooled by the lowest cost when you leave the door open to so much that could cost you more or worse more than you have!
What are the hidden costs to be aware of?
- Changes or increase in charges
- Late file by DA office
- DA reject or no file
- Annual renewal fees
- Posting fees
- Interest fees
Are all calls and communication with an inmate in jail private?
Remember that when speaking to any inmate in jail that every conversation is recorded. As much as you may want to hear what happened you must not ask them over the phone. It is best to post a bail bond and save this conversation for privacy after they are bailed out.
What is PC647(a)?
You are charged with California Penal Code 647(a) when you engage in lewd or dissolute conduct in any public place, or you solicit someone else to do so.
Lewd conduct is defined as touching your or another’s private parts for the purpose of sexual gratification, or to annoy or offend someone else.
Private parts refer to the genitals, the buttocks, or a female breast.
What are the Penalties for California Lewd Conduct in Public?
Violation of Penal Code 647(a) is a misdemeanor. It is punishable by up to 6 months in county jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.
Currently, a conviction for lewd conduct in public does not require registration as a sex offender.
However, prosecutors often charge it together with Penal Code 314 “indecent exposure” which does trigger lifetime sex offender registration.